Friday, March 12, 2010

Baba Ganoush, the easy way


Okay so to preface this I'll just say that I add things and change things as i go. I tend to cook with out recipes so, I can rarely follow a recipe with out changing things so as to the best of my memory this is what I do to make amazing baba ganoush.
Yes I know that traditionally the eggplant should be grilled and blackened but this is so much easier and just as tasty. I make a lot of this at once so I have enough to last a few days. Usually I just reheat it in the microwave and it is even better the next day.

2-3 eggplants peeled and cut width wise into 1/2 inch slices
1-2 cloves of garlic per eggplant (I love garlic so I use lots, but you can always use less)
3 ish tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp Tahini (NOT peanutbutter)
1 1/2 lemons worth of juice
1/2 tsp smoked or regular paprika or sumac if you can find it
salt & pepper to taste

If you do not have any of these additional spices it's okay I just add them for extra flavor but they are not necessary
1/2 tsp cumin
about 10 Coriander pods toasted and ground
Greek seasoning just a few dashes

Heat olive oil in large pan, chop half of the garlic and add to oil, lay eggplant slices in the oil and brown on both sides. The eggplant will absorb all of the Oil, that's okay, If your garlic starts to burn you can remove it and put it into the food processor. You will probably have to brown the eggplant in several batches. Once you have browned your eggplant toss it in the processor with the remaining ingredients and pulse until smooth. I stop to taste and adjust the puree often. If the puree tastes bitter add another tablespoon of tahini and more lemon. I like to have this with pita or my easy whole wheat flatbread. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A kind word always brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...