Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Girlie Nursery Decor

I have been wanting to show you the gifts I made for Lenae for days, but I had to wait until she received them so I would not spoil the surprise.
Having 2 little boys means that making uber girlie stuff is completely out of my repertoire. I had so much fun making these and I hope little Quinn enjoys them just as much.

First is the butterfly garden mobile, I know it doesn't move, so technically it is not a mobile, but what else am I to call it?
As it turns out, it's called a stabile, who knew? Well actually my husband did, go figure!

First I wrapped a 10" floral foam wreath with the pink ribbon

Then with the wreath all wrapped I removed all the flowers from their stems and cut the hard plastic bases off of they so they would sit flush against the wreath form. On a few of the flowers I had to use a little dab of hot glue to keep them from falling apart after cutting their bases off.

Next, I added 3 equal length strips of ribbon to the sides to hang it with. I layed the wreath facing up on my table and began adding flowers starting with the largest flowers, then moving to the medium and small to fill in. Once I was happy with the it I hung it from my dining room chandelier, filled in all the little spots and added some flowers on the sides. I chose to leave the top mostly uncovered with the exception of where the hanging ribbons attached to the wreath but you could cover the entire thing if you wished. 
Can you spy my little red headed helper?

I did mine in all pink and white silk flowers I bought on sale at Michaels. To make sure the flowers would be very secure I hot glued the flowers on and used a few pins for adjustments.

While at Michale's I also purchased a few butterflies and attached them onto the mobile to give it a more whimsical look.

I know it's so sweet it almost makes your teeth hurt, but I love it.  I only hope Lenae likes the sugary thing as much as I do!

Then because I love little wall plaques I made this out of a metal sign I had lying around. The "Q" is a little wooden element I found at Michael's and painted. I simply covered the metal sign in some pink paper and then made all the little embellishments out of some coordinating papers I had lying around. 

A handmade silk/button flower and some rhinestones were the icing on the cupcake for this super sweet wall plaque. By the time I finished I was wishing my initial was a Q!

Here's to hoping more of my fiends have girls!


Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!



Peace and pretty butterflies!

5 comments:

  1. We hung it all up today, and Merrilee: It. Looks. FANTASTIC! I keep sneaking up to the room to sigh and look, over and over again :) Thank you again, times a million!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mobile is absolutely beautiful! So precious, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! I'm making a "stabile" for my nursery soon. Glad to know it has a name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of those are really snazzy! I really like the flower "mobile" Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this, and want to make one for myself, so I am glad you put your steps in here. Maybe I can convince Miles that he really likes pink flowers? Or Erich that it is a perfect accessory for somewhere?

    ReplyDelete

A kind word always brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...